This past week I have been reading Tim Keller's latest book, King's Cross. I have loved every moment reading it (I've even read some of the chapters over and over again). Keller takes us through 'The story of the world in the life of Jesus'. As you read it, you can't help but love Jesus more and desire to be changed more into his likeness. I have found it such a refreshing and encouraging read.
As you go through the book and so through Mark's Gospel, Keller helps us snap out of a familiarity of the Gospel and nudges you into seeing afresh how totally brilliant Jesus is. I love the way Keller puts everything so simply and yet doesn't just scratch the surface but reveals great insight into Jesus' identity and purpose.
Another reason I have loved reading this book is because Keller also addresses the skeptic. When I think of Mark's Gospel, at the back of my mind I remember the last time I taught Mark's Gospel to a GCSE group. It was rather stressful! Bit by bit the students would try to rip Mark's Gospel apart. They mocked it, they would come up with conspiracies as to how each account cannot be true and they'd regularly tell me why I was stupid to believe in Jesus. One student got such rage at Mark's Gospel (Mark 5 - Jesus heals a demon possessed man and the evil spirits enter pigs...) she ripped her exercise book up, threw it at me and found her self removed from my class... only to then hit a senior member of staff and find herself permanently excluded! Maybe when you share the gospel with your friends you face hostility too.
Yet Keller kicks into touch many of the questions and uncertainties people have about Mark's Gospel and Jesus. I know as I've been reading his book side by side with Mark's Gospel, the stress of the hostility has been removed. As I've read it, I've found that my heart has been constantly ignited to love Jesus more and challenged us to be transformed more and more into his likeness.
I haven't yet finished reading 'Kings Cross' but I would thoroughly recommend it. Keller definitely helps us to know and love the Lord Jesus more... brilliant!
Having said this... I cannot make any promises that the book will have the same effect on you! But... give it a go...
http://www.10ofthose.com/products/6650/King039s-Cross/ Selling at £7.97 instead of £12.99!

No comments:
Post a Comment