Friday, 3 June 2011

Yeah but...

Recently I've started writing a book (shocking really since I can't spell!). I've never really enjoyed reading and I've never really had a desire to write. However, back in February I took a U-turn and decided I was going to write a book! It will probably take me a while as I squeeze writing in and I'm not sure it will be any good. I just got frustrated waiting for someone else to write the book for me.

What I aim to do is to try and write something for young people (teens) that answers some of their questions about God. There are some excellent resources already available that answer questions about God - the problem is, not many of these books meet the reading needs of young people.

Most days in the classroom as I teach about Jesus/God students will often respond with something along the lines of, "Yeah but..." and so "Yeah but..." is the title of my book. The little blurb says this:

Have you ever wondered why Christians believe in all that God stuff? Have you wanted to say to Christians; “Yeah but…”? This book aims to provide answers to “Yeah but…” questions people have about God.

Each chapter starts with a claim Christians make. For example: Christians claim that God is real. Then there is the question, "Yeah but...  you can't see God so he isn't real!" I then have a box with the chapter in brief - which sums up in bullet point fashion how the chapter flows, giving the answers to the questions within the chapter without the detail. I'm trying to write in a conversational style - a bit like when teaching, you'll say something and a student will ask another question. I then end the chapter with a couple of bullet summery points, followed by a couple of questions to encourage the reader to keep thinking.

Its been a fun few months and a few chapters are written. Its been lovely that many of my students ask me how its going and keep reading the chapters for me. Hopefully one day it'll be finished!

I'm praying that God would help me to write in a clear, engaging and easy way for young people to understand, and that somehow it would be a really helpful tool in pointing young people to Jesus and life forever with him.

Examples of the chapter titles are:
Christians claim the Bible tells the truth
:
“Yeah but… the Bible is just a dusty old book of fairy tales!”


Christians claim that God exists
:
“Yeah but… You can’t see him, so he doesn’t exist!”
Christians claim God made the world
:
“Yeah but… God didn’t create the world, haven’t you heard of Evolution and the Big Bang? Anyway who made God?”

Christians claim that evil and suffering doesn’t mean God is evil:
“Yeah but... if God was good he wouldn’t let the bad stuff happen!”

Christians claim being good won’t get me to heaven:

“Yeah but… I’ve never killed anyone and I’ve not even had a detention!”

Christians claim Jesus rose from the dead:
“Yeah but… Where’s the proof? People don’t just come back to life!”
Christians claim God is loving but sends people to hell
:
“Yeah but… Hell will be a party with my friends won’t it? Heaven just sounds dull!”
Christians claim other religions don’t get you to heaven
:
“Yeah but… What about all the people who believe other stuff… like Muslims?”


Christians claim God is one; Father, Son and Holy Spirit
:
“Yeah but… Can’t you count? That's three gods not one! What is God anyway?”

Christians claim Christianity is extremely important:
“Yeah but… Bothered!”
Christians claim Jesus is their king/rescuer:

“Yeah but… Christians are just hypocrites!” 

If you'd like to read any of the chapters for me, do let me know and I'll email it across - your thoughts and feedback I'm sure will be really helpful - especially as it will then help it to be better for the young people!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh Jo, this is great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lovely Alice. I love it when its the holidays cos I get time to write more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Jo. I especially like the plan to have summaries at the start and the end of chapters for people with short attenti...

    Happy to read & feed back if you want.

    Dx

    ReplyDelete