A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure of celebrating one of my tutor groups 15th Birthday. Rather odd, inviting a teaching to your birthday party... surely teachers cannot accept invites like that?! But this wasn't any old birthday celebration.
A few days before hand, I was called to reception to meet this students Mum. There was something different about her, I'd spent many a day with her when she had faced bad news, and I had rarely seen a tear in her eye. This day, tears were flowing down her cheeks.
These tears were tears of joy and relief that her son had made it to 15, when over the past year, on so many days, it looked like he would die. Each night he was in hospital, she slept by his bedside, there was no bed for her to sleep on - just a armchair, she knew something all to well, that life is fragile. As we sat chatting, she expressed the fears she'd had over the past year. In that moment, the topic of prayer and God came up. It was such a privilege to chat about how God had answered our prayers and that it is God we give thanks for for his life. Though his life is very different now, having undergone a years chemo and having a major operation to remove his upper leg and his lower leg to be attached in its place, having seen friends on his ward die, having at many times been close to death - this family have so much to thank God for.
For me one of the greatest joys has been to see so many prayers answered. I'm excited about how these prayers are still being answered as this students Mum is keen to begin reading the bible and find out more about who God is. I've been so encouraged by God's work in this family, that through this tough time, an adamant atheistic family are having their hearts changed and warmed to the gospel.
On the same day of his 15th Birthday, the staff of our school received some sad news from our sister school in Gateshead. One of their students had died in her sleep. This filled me with great sadness, yet at the same time, I know the staff at that school will have shared the good news about Jesus with her time and time again. Although this is a very tough time for the family, staff and students, I'm excited about the work of the gospel in these precious lives.
This has spurred me on to love Jesus more and to continually and prayerfully point my students to Jesus. Over the past few months, there have been many occasions where I have questioned whether this is the job I really want to be in, and yet its time like these that help me to remember why we do what we do. As I face some brilliant students to teach, and some more challenging students - what a privilege it is to be able to open the bible with them day in day out. What a reminder this past year has been to me that I'm not just standing in front of an exam conveyor-belt, but precious fragile lives that are in desperate need of God. I stand in front of my students knowing we have a great God, who is worthy of our praise.
Psalm 103

No comments:
Post a Comment