I've been dipping in and out of this challenging but encouraging book for a couple of months now. Each chapter has so much to be digested and prayerfully apply. I love the way Jerry bridges writes in such an accessible way and each page is coated in scripture applied to our lives.
As I have read the chapter on gentleness, I have become particularly aware of how a lack of gentleness is ugly and is often something that so easily destroys relationships. This chapter has also helped me to understand exactly what gentleness is and how as a society we easily over look gentleness. It has also been encouraging that it is not something that only I battle with.
During my university days, we often joked about what the ideal posh vicar's wife would be like... I won't share the list, but something we didn't joke about was that we knew that all godly girls should pray for a gentle quiet spirit (1Peter 3:3-5), we knew gentleness was a good thing.
But I wonder how people imagine gentleness to look like in practice. How often do we remember Jesus' gentleness? Do we often think that gentleness is out of reach?
Early on in the chapter, Bridges quotes George bethune, "Perhaps no grace is less prayed for, or less cultivated than gentleness. Indeed it is considered rather as belonging to natural disposition or external manners, than as Christian virtue; and seldom do we reflect that not to be gentle is sin"
Such a great reminder, that a lack of gentleness is not to be brushed off as 'its just the way I am / they are', and a prompt to be commit to be praying for this characteristic of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and encouragement that this is an area that God wants to develop us in.
So what is gentleness? Billy Graham defines it as; "Gentleness is mildness in dealing with others... it displays a sensitive regard for others and is careful never to be unfeeling for the rights of others"
Bridges explains that gentleness is relational and he pin points the need to pray specifically about certain situations regarding gentleness. The following are part of his list:
1. Am I sensitive to other people's rights and feelings?
2. Do people relax in my presence? Do they worry about being looked down on or criticised?
3. Am I sensitive to others opinions and ideas?
4. Do I avoid blunt speech and an abrupt manner?
5. Do I listen to reason?
6. Am I fair, considerate and generous rather than rigid and exacting?
Another really helpful chapter from a brilliant author.

No comments:
Post a Comment